Serendipity Salon Workshop at Future Everything. 21st March, 2013
- Future Everything Summit of Ideas and Digital Invention, 2013 hosted SerenA team members Mel Woods and Dr Stephann Makri for a Serendipity Salon Workshop on March 21, 2013.
Seeking Serendipity through Digital Invention
This workshop will focused on serendipity and its widely-noted influence on innovation in creative and technology design, art and business practice. Our research conducted on the nature of serendipity, has found that there are several actions and attitudes of mind that can increase the likelihood of serendipity. These include varying routines, being observant, making mental space, relaxing boundaries, drawing on previous experiences, looking for patterns and seizing opportunities.
The workshop commenced with a ‘making connections’ session which allowed participants to verbally introduce themselves whilst making a web of connections.
‘Making Connections’ Session
The salon moved on to learn about the actions and attitudes of mind and apply them (as part of a Design Challenge and co-creation session) to the design of novel digital products, systems or services aimed at creating opportunities for serendipity.
The workshop will concluded with a plenary discussion, with presentations which aimed to contribute to the themes of ‘Serendpity City’, ‘Smart Citizen’, ‘Discovery Engine’ and discuss the challenges of designing to create opportunities for serendipity along with exciting future opportunities for doing so.
Presentations of ‘Design Challenge’ proposals to the Salon
More information about the conference here:
- October 25, 2013ESRC Science Festival and SerenA(0) Comments
- April 9, 2013Serendipity. Let's talk numbers...(0) Comments
- April 3, 2013Second-hand serendipity?(1) Comments
- March 27, 2013The Princes of Serendip(0) Comments
- March 19, 2013Serendipity Salon Workshop at Future Everything. 21st March, 2013(0) Comments
- March 13, 2013March Events: Serendipity Symposium(0) Comments